As an introduction, please allow us to familiarize you with the requirements for obtaining a unit from our bank:
- Your facility must have experience with unrelated donor transplantation (bone marrow, peripheral blood, or cord blood). Participation in the National Marrow Donor Program or similar regional program meets this criteria. Alternatively, the transplanter's credentials and experience can be submitted for documentation.
- Your facility must have an active institutional review board or similar ethical board approved protocol for unrelated donor transplantation using cord blood as the donor source. A copy of the protocol and IRB approval must be submitted to the St. Louis Cord Blood Bank. If the patient cannot wait for the approval process, a compassionate protocol will be accepted. At the very least, documentation that the protocol has been submitted to the IRB for this and subsequent activity should be provided.
- Confirmatory testing on the patient will be required. Providing concordant HLA results obtained from two separate specimens will be sufficient for this requirement. Alternatively, the bank can send a requisition to accompany patient buccal swabs directly to LabCorp. A copy of the consent for transplant must be provided when signed.
- Thawing of the product must be performed according to the procedure developed by the New York Blood Center, our institutional copy of which will accompany the product.
- Your institution must agree to provide transplant outcome data in a timely fashion to the Cord Blood Bank. Forms will be forwarded in the package with the unit.
let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to working with you!
Clinical Information Available on Cord Blood Units
- HLA - A, B (by serology); confirmatory
- HLA typing sample available
- HLA-DR by PCR-SSOPABO typing
- Maternal HLA-A,B molecular available upon request
Total Nucleated Cell Count, Quantitative CD34 Positive Cells
Infectious Disease Testing on Cord Blood and Maternal
- HIV 1 / 2, HIV p24
- HTLV - I
- anti HBc, HBs antigen, anti HCV
- CMV antibody (total for maternal and IgM for cord)
Infectious Disease Testing on Cord Sample Performed as Part of Confirmation Procedure
Isoelectric Focusing for Detection of Hemoglobinopathies
- Hematopoietic pre-cursor counts
- Serum (maternal and cord)
Information from Review of Delivery Record
- Complications with pregnancy, delivery, and afterbirth.
Information from Medical History Questionnaire
- Risk Factors
- Genetic diseases
- Ethnicity of parents
- Gender of infant
Please let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to working with you!