Facts & Figures
- Nothing is more important at the time of delivery than the health and safety of the mother and baby. The delivering doctor has the final decision on whether the cord blood collection should take place.
- Mothers should pre-register prior to delivery.
- Brochures are available for distribution. Call 314-268-2787 or 888-453-2673 to order.
- Umbilical cord blood is a non-controversial source of stem cells. Use of umbilical cord blood for transplantation and research is approved by both the President and the Pope.
- Cord blood units that do not meet criteria for use in transplantation are used in Institutional Review Board (IRB) approved academic research protocols to further the understanding the behavior of cord blood stem cells and their potential use in cellular therapies.
- This is a donor program only – we do not store cord blood for private use.
- No costs are incurred by the donor family or participating hospital.
- As per contract with the FDA, delivering physicians/midwives are not allowed to charge a fee for collection of cord blood.
- Cord blood units collected by physicians/midwives for the St. Louis Cord Blood Bank have been used to treat pediatric and adult patients with more than 80 diseases, including Aplastic Anemia Myelodysplastic syndrome, Fanconi’s Anemia Neuroblastom, Hodgkin’s disease, Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, Hurler’s syndrome, Osteopetrosis, Krabbe’s disease, Severe Combined Immune Deficiency, Leukemia Sickle Cell Anemia, Leukodystrophy, Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome, and Lymphoma.
- We are one of the largest public cord blood banks in the world.
- Over 200,000 units have been donated to our bank.
- 28,000 units available for transplantation.
- Close to 2,900 units have been exported for transplantation.
- 51% utilized for pediatrics; 49% utilized for adults.
- Age of patients ranges from 10 days to 71 years old.
- Weight of patients ranges from 4 kg (8.8 lbs) to 131 kg (288 lbs).
- Race of recipients 77% Caucasian; 23% Non-Caucasian.
- 80% of exports used domestically; 20% used internationally.